The Activities management page is the main hub of the application. To access this page, simply click the "Activities" icon on the left navigation bar. From here, you can manage and create all of your activities.
Creating New Activities
To create a new Lumiere activity from the landing page:
- Click the "+ Add New Activity" tile.
- Enter a name for the activity.
- Optionally, choose a category to add your activity to. (If you'd like to add the activity to a new category, you can do it on the next page)
- Click the "Add Activity" button.
Activity Video(s) Management
NOTE: If you need to collect deep element feedback on more than one video, we suggest creating more than one single video activities.
To add video(s) to your activity, click the "Add Video" button.
If you have previous uploaded videos to your account (either through the Videos management page or another activity), you can select them for inclusion in this activity in the "Video Library" tab. After selecting the video(s) you want to include, click the "Add Selected" button at the bottom of the dialog box to add them to the activity.
If you'd like to upload an entirely new video to this activity:
- Switch to the "Upload Video" tab
- Click the "Upload Files" button to select the video(s) you want to upload.
- After choosing your video files, you'll see an upload progress indicator. Don't close this window or leave the page while your uploading, or your upload will be cancelled.
- When the upload process is complete, the video selection dialog box will automatically close and your files will appear in the activity with a black background while they are processed and converted to the corrected formats (this can take a while depending on file type, size and length - see Recommended File Formats for more info).
Once your video has begun processing, you are free to close the window or leave the page.
TIP: Remember to save your activity after adding or updating your videos!
To remove a video from your activity, simply hover over it's thumbnail and click the Trash icon.
Changing the Order of Videos
When designing a multi-video activity, you can change the order of the videos as they will be presented to participants.
To reorder videos:
- Hover over a video's thumbnail
Click and hold the Move icon
- Drag the video to the new location in the playlist
Linear vs Non-Linear Viewing
In multi video activities, scrubbing is enabled by default and cannot be turned off.
Features & Data Collection Options
You can collect a variety of data within your activities.
You can ask participants questions before or after your activity, at specific moments in a video, or repeatedly at regular timed intervals. Certain questions types can also be used to create Comparison Groups for filtering and comparing your data outputs.
Read about Question Types.
You can manage the people taking your survey with a few options within the Panel Management tab on the Design Activity page.
Setup a Completion Redirect
At the end of an activity, participants are shown an "Exit Activity" button that, by default, links them to http://lumiere.is. You can easily custom this default redirect link:
- Click the "Panel Management" tab.
- Under Completion Redirect, enter a new URL in the "Redirection Link" box. Make sure to enter a fully qualified URL, meaning the link should include any http:// or https:// designation at the beginning and a trailing slash ( / ).
NOTE: If you need to customize the redirect link for each participant, see Integrating Lumière with other surveys & workflows.
Upload a Panel
If you have an existing panel that you'd like to invite into your Lumière activity, you can import a CSV file with their information and Lumière will generate customized links for them. Or if you have additional data on your panelists from another source (such as external survey software), you also can import that data in CSV format and use it to filter and compare your data in Insights.
In both cases, you'll need to upload a specially formatted CSV file:
- Click the "Panel Management" tab.
- Click the Upload a Panel icon.
- In the box that pops up, click the Upload CSV File button and choose the file you want to import. Your file will begin uploading.
- When your file finishes uploading, you'll see a summary of fields and values included in the file. Review this for accuracy and check with fields should be imported by toggling the "Include in Lumiere" checkbox for each field. You can also rename the fields here before they are imported.
- At the bottom of the window, select which field contains the Participant Identifier (see note below for more information), then click the Proceed button to complete the import.
- Row Format: Each row should represent one participant and MUST include a participant id field. If you're matching an external data set to your Lumière participants, that participant id MUST match the ID that was provided as part of the participant's activity link. See Integrating Lumière with other surveys & workflows for more information.
- Column Format: Columns should represent questions, demographic data, or a participant identifier.
- Remove unnesseary data: Only import data for the participants that are actually taking your Lumiere activity. Remove data columns that you don't intend to filter your outputs on. Imported an unnecessarily large file might cause unexpected problems or force your import to take much longer than it should.
- Avoid open-ended questions: Remember that imported data is intended for creating output filters and comparison groups. Importing columns with open-ended text type responses is not useful and might cause your outputs to respond more slowly than normal.
- Avoid grid type questions: Grid type questions do not translate well to CSV format. Consider breaking grid type questions into multiple columns in your file.
- Replace blank values: Blank cell values in import files are not imported and there is no way to filter on them. If blank values in a column indicate a 'non-reponse', but you'd still like to be able to filter on them, consider replacing those values with a text placeholder such as "No response" prior to upload.
- Avoid sensitive information: Unless absolutely neccessary for filtering purposes, avoid importing sensitive or personally identifiable information for your participants.
Activity Organization: Categorization and Tagging
If you're creating more than a handful of activities, you should consider using some of the tools Lumière offers to help keep things organized.
Title & Description
You can change your activity's title by clicking on the pencil icon next to the title and updating the text. Similiarly, you can enter an activity description in the Activity Description textbox.
Click on the Activity Category drop down to select a category for your activity. You can choose from the list of previously created categories, or select "Add New" to create an entirely new category.
You can attach as many tags to your activity as you'd like. To enter a new tag, click in the Activity Tags textbox, enter your desired tag name and hit the enter or tab key. To remove a tag from your activity, simply click the x on the tag you'd like to remove.
For more information on how these tools can help you manage your activity collection, see managing your activities.
Testing, Launching and Closing
Previewing and testing
When you have finished adding your video(s) and setting up your data collection features, it's time to preview your activity. To see a preview of your activity, click the "Preview" button at the bottom of the Design Activity page. You'll be taken to the participant screen for your activity. For testing your activity while integrating with third-party software via passthrough, see integrating Lumière with other surveys and workflows.
Note: While previewing your activity in test mode, any data you enter will not be included in outputs the Insights page and your session will not be included the activity statistics.
Launching your activity
Note: Once your activity has launched, it cannot be edited.